Omooba SUNDAY SOLARIN (OSS)
Omooba Sunday Solarin, FCA is a young budding politician who hails from the peaceful enclave of Ogere Remo, Ikenne Local Government, Ogun State. He is a trail blazer of sort. He is resourceful, super insightful, naturally fertile and hyperactive.
Sunday Solarin is one of the few cerebral young politicians ikenne LG has ever paraded and who can be trusted to rise to the occasion at intellectual gatherings. He is a frequent speaker at various intellectual and political gatherings.
He is not only humble, respectful and accountable but scrupulous and broadminded. He is equally an unassuming politician and administrator per excellence. Above all, he is a grassroot politician who enjoys mutual cooperation and consultation with his people.
Solarin is a true ambassador of the youth. He has smashed the long held mythological notion that the youth cannot occupy certain political offices as a result of their youthful exuberance. He has proved that assumption wrong. He has held few high ranking political positions and adjudged capable.
Sunday Solarin was born on March 25, 1973, into the Agbejoye Royal Family (the current ruling royal family) of Ogere Remo by Pa Saliu and Mama Alice Solarin. He had his primary education at Christ Church School, Ogere Remo (1978-1984) and proceeded to Oshitelu Memorial College, Ogere Remo (1984-1991) for his secondary education.
He worked briefly at Animal Care Konsult Services Konsults, Ogere (1994-1995, 1997-1998). His desire to further his education made him to secure admission into the Ogun State Polytechnic, Abeokuta, Ogun State (1995-1996) and Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife (1999-2004) where he graduated with Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in Marketing and Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Accounting respectively. He also holds Masters of Science (MSc) degree in Accounting, OAU, Ile Ife (2015-2017).
His brilliance was put to bear again as he registered and passed the tough Institute of Chatered Accountants professional examination in one sitting. He became a proud member of the noble Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) in 2006 and was inducted as a Fellow of the body in 2018.
He was formerly the President of National Association of Ogere Students, NAOS, (2000-2003). He was also the President of National Association of Remo Students (2001) and Chairman of Constitution Amendment Committee of the same Association (2002).He contested the Presidency of Nigerian University Accounting Students Association of OAU in 2003. He was made the Chairman, Final Year Ceremony Committee of the same body in 2004.
He is the Managing Partner, Master Planners Associates, an Accounting and Auditing firm. He is a visiting lecturer in the Accounting Department, Babcock University, Ilishan Remo (2007 till date). He is also a business man and a farmer.
Sunday Solarin is a family man.
Omooba Sunday Solarin’s trajectory in politics started in the year 2000. He has held the following positions of responsibilities:
- Ward Youth Leader of the Peoples Democratic Party (2003-2004).
- Local Government Publicity Secretary of PDP (2004-2006).
- Monitoring Officer of the Local Government Education Authority (2005-2007).
- Supervisor for Education of the Local Government Transition Committee (2007).
- Coordinator, Otunba Gbenga Daniel Campaign Organisation’s Campaign Office, Abeokuta (2007).
- Consultant on Budget/Financial Matters to the Ikenne Local Government (2008-2011).
- Board Member, Gateway Oil & Gas (2008-2011).
- PDP Chairman, Ikenne Local Government (2008-2010).
It is instructive to note that Omooba Sunday Solarin was a candidate for the Ogun State House of Assembly in 2007 and 2011 on the platforms of PDP and PPN respectively.
Omooba Sunday Solarin’s bearing legacies as a politician:
1. As Supervisor for Education (2007)
- He renovated virtually all the primary schools in the local government.
- He assisted the Muslim Community in establishing the first Muslim primary school in Ogere Remo.
- He successfully furnished FOMWAN Primary School, Ogere Remo.
2. As Ikenne LG Party Chairman (2008-2010)
- His party administration was adjudged to be one of the best in Ogun State.
- He ensured that the welfare of executive members of the party was given priority through the financial contributions of the LG political functionaries.
- Out of uncommon ingenuity, party executive officers in the LG and 10 wards were paid salaries.
- He brought about the maintenance of discipline and orderliness in the party.
- He established a good working relationship between the party and political functionaries.
- He also ensured the close integration of party leadership with the executive members.